Moment of the Week

Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Blessing: Over Two Years Later

I have a friend getting ready to embark on a lengthy time apart from her husband thanks the the AF.  She has two young boys, younger than Nathan was when David left for his deployment.  As she prepares to say goodbye to her husband and start this 'single parent' year of her life she's been on my mind a lot.  It brings back a lot of the thoughts and memories I think I usually try not to bring up.  Not bad things really, just a time when things were hard on me, and to say I'm still dealing with the resentment is a true statement.  

Anyhow, I got a new phone in early April.  After nearly three years with my iPhone I went with a Windows phone, which I really loved.  That's right 'loved' as in the past tense because it died on Monday.  I was talking on it and it just went haywire and it's not fixable.  While my replacement is on it's way I'm using my trusty iPhone again. I was cleaning it out the other night.  Removing apps I don't need or use, cleaning out stored junk.  Then I ran across some old voice memos.  I played one, and there was my sweet three year old boy telling his daddy that he missed him and loved him.  It hit me.  

Memories of that time came back.  Playing a voice memo with Dave saying prayers and goodnight to Nate, every single night of those six months.  And the tough nights, when Nate wanted to talk to his daddy, we recorded messages and I would send them to Dave.    While I still wish my little boy hadn't had to go through that whole ordeal, we survived.  And now I have all of these messages with my sweet three year old's voice.  It's so nice to have, especially since Nate will most likely be our only child, and the only three year old voice we will ever have had in our house.  A bunch of little saved memories I wouldn't have if we hadn't been separated.  So 2 1/2 years after the deployment I found something good that came out of it.  (well, our trip to Hawaii was also nice)  It took a long time but I found something!


No comments:

Post a Comment