After a week in Michigan, Dave had to rent a car and drive himself down to Dayton. He had to go to a class there for work. Since we knew about his TDY long ago we knew we would have to plan our visit to attend Grammie McMath's memorial service around the class. We could have all driven down with him, but who likes spending a week in a motel room?? Not I. So we planned it so Nate and I would join him the last two days and we could sight-see.
Dayton is well know for it's aviation history, so we went to learn about the Wright brothers.
Downtown Dayton has a National Park with the Wright brothers' history, so we started there. We watched a very informative video about their work and success. ( Although when National Parks have a celebrity with a recognizable voice narrate the documentary, it would be nice if they announced who it was at the beginning, so people like me don't spend the whole time half listening, half wondering, is that Martin Sheen?(it was))
They also had lots of hands-on things for kiddos. Nate loved them. This one demonstrated how the hip controls worked on the flyer.
They also had a parachute museum, which had more hands on stuff.
a reproduction of a glider
Right next door was the original sight of the Wright Cycle Co. It has quite a history there, and it was amazing to think I was standing in the room where they figured out how to make a flyer fly! Think of how many flights I've been on, and how my whole life revolves around my husband's career in the Air Force fixing aircraft!.... It started right here by two brothers that hadn't been to college but ran a printing and bicycle shop! It blew my mind.
Nate just appreciated that they had a hands-on display.... he's six after all. Deep connections to something that happened over a hundred years ago are hard to come by at six.
Then we drove to another park and there was more info there.
Since it was a weekday the museum staff are all so willing to talk in depth with you. I love that about homeschool field trips. We talked at length with a very knowledgeable man about the Wright brothers' workshop and their wind tunnel tests. Then as we were leaving a group of homeschoolers came in on a field trip. It made me smile.
This park we had gone to was actually huge. I had no idea until I was lost in a museum of stuff that was invented in Dayton.... then it dawned on me that this was a HUGE park, I was only in the first building. It reminded me very much of Greenfield Village. I wished we had all day to spend there, but we had to pick up Dave.
We cruised through a few places on our way out, like this mill. The week before, while in Dryden, we had been trying to explain what a mill was to a kid that sees me plop a bag of Gold Medal flour in my shopping cart, easy as that, I find a lot of things hard to explain to my kid..... At a huge display of fancy old cash registers (invented in Dayton) he was oblivious to what the heck they were. It took me a long time to explain.... Even more shocking was him asking me what a typewriter was at an antique store recently.
ah but I digress.....
We also stopped by a homestead, the first tavern of Dayton, and a one room schoolhouse.
Then we headed to get Dave so we could go to the National Air Force Museum.
We had 3 1/2 hour before they closed and if you've been there you know, we had to rush through to see everything. I almost made it from the parking lot to the entrance without whining..... but luckily a golf cart shuttle picked us up just as I started my complaint. It was a ton of walking. I was still on the mend from strep throat, and we had already been museum-ing for 4 1/2 hours. At one point Nate was sounding very grown-up when he commented, "Sounds like somebody needs a nap!" Actually I definitely could have used a nap.
But I walked around the four gigantic hangers. Snapping photos. Listening to Dave's excitement and appreciation for the planes and the history.
I did find some quilt-spiration
And stopped all of my complaining after reading the tragic tale of the Flying Dutchman.
The guys really had a good time.
I did too despite my occasional whining.
I'm very glad we decided to spend those two days with Dave in Ohio. It was a very educational visit.
When we were getting ready to hit the road I had never been so anxious to get home. Out two visits to Michigan felt like one big long trip. I felt like I had been gone for months. Now that we are home the relief in all of us is great. We aren't leaving Rapid City for a LONG LONG while, unless it's on a jet!

No comments:
Post a Comment