Moment of the Week

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Adventure in Nature


Yesterday was our Wind Cave, Adventures in Nature field trip.


Last time I was given a tip on getting to the park from a ranger.
I was a little nervous, but I tried it, and it made my day!
It was eight miles on this winding dirt road and beyond saving lots of time, it was a beautiful drive!
We saw some turkeys and a magpie, and in the park the buffalo were out near the road!



This week the kids learned about prey, especially the prairie dog.
This was one great perk of these classes.
As a homeschooler of one I could never make a food web like this.
I am so happy he got to be part of a food web.
I think it is such a great visual!


This is Ranger Lenny.  He answers all of my questions even though I am not one of the kids.

There is always a hike, and this week we drove to a prairie dog town for our hike.

Now here is where homeschooling gets funny to me.
While we were waiting I decided to ask Ranger Lindsey a question. 
This is not uncommon.  
I often ask them lots of questions because I am still new to the prairie. 
And some things are really interesting to me.  

Anyhow, I was reading at the visitor's center that they were introducing the black footed ferret into Wind Cave and one of the reasons was because the prairie dog population doesn't have the plague.  I thought that was interesting because the population at Badlands does, there are signs everywhere warning people.  So I asked her, and she answered and Nate never said a word, I thought he was standing far enough away that he hadn't even heard.  He didn't say a thing.

Then the hike begins, and everyone starts walking, everyone but Nate. I'm telling him hurry up, lets go.  He looks really worried about something, and I thought it was just caution that he didn't step in a hole.  But I was actually pulling him to make him move faster.  I am totally baffled.  By the time the hike is over I was super frustrated and just ready to eat lunch and go.  On the way to the car I asked Nate why he was being so weird, and he says, "Mom! I don't want to get the plague!" 
I was totally confused, then realized he must have heard me asking the ranger, but obviously didn't hear the part about this park not having it.
Months ago,  right after Christmas break, we learned about Black Death... or the plague.  I had never heard about it, and was totally fascinated!  Nate gave no sign that he cared or was planning to remember a single word I said.  Apparently he did.  That kid is so strange!
Some things stick.... I just never know which things will!



Lunch cured my hanger, and the drive home soothed my nerves.  
It is so dang pretty on this prairie.
As much as I love the woods back home and the lakes....
Prairie landscapes are incredible, and I can't get over their beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment