Moment of the Week

Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Huge Undertaking


There is a major reason for the fact you probably have never seen our master bathroom.  Even if you've been over, you were probably rushed by it on the tour.  The only photos I have of the bathroom are from our walk through before we bought it.  


The reason being... it was a sore spot for us.  Beyond the wall paper and the way shrunken vinyl flooring and the outdated fixtures we had a major issue.  


 While it is spacious... we hated it.  Mainly I hated it, and me reminding Dave of my hatred for it made him also hate it.... Misery loves company and all that.  The major problem is that there was no shower.  And for someone who takes a bath twice a year that is a real bummer. The only reason it wasn't a deal breaker was that  thankfully it is plumbed for a shower.  The walls just weren't waterproofed.  


And while that sounds easy to do, for non experienced house poor folks like us it was not so easy.  Stuck between deciding to pay out the butt to have it tiled, or biting the bullet and trying our hand at DIY tiling, our budget insisted that we DIY.  Shoot we painted our HOUSE.  We can learn tile right?  God, lets hope so.

Friday night we tore down the drywall.  Saturday night we put up cement board and mud-ed the seams and screw holes.  Today after church we spent a good part of the afternoon at Lowe's picking out tile and the grout and the tools we need.  

Tonight, we will mix the tile mastic and begin this terrifying job. 
Thankfully our neighbor Gary is a well of knowledge and advice and support.  When he was checking in on our progress this afternoon he asked what was written on the mirror in the bathroom.  "In every situation I am to be CONTENT" I told him.   I've been reminding myself of this when I'm in the upsetting bathroom for the past year and a half.  But I'm thankful this will be taken care of and I will truly be content with the bathroom soon. **fingers crossed**

No comments:

Post a Comment