Last night I finally got that quilt back out and was going to stretch it so I can start quilting it. Dave said he would help.. ( Its funny because there are a lot of crafty things that are really interesting to him. Like that Cricut machine I bought, when I pull it out somehow he always ends up in the room telling me he can cut one for me so I can do something else, which i think is just his way of asking if he can play with it. I don't blame him, it is really fun to use.) I think the idea of 'stretching' a quilt probably has baffled him. SO I said great I could use the help because it is tricky using tables that are too small and are different heights!! SO i got the safety pins out and split them up and gave him a bowl of them and he looked really confused.... Then we started taping down the backing and then we laid out the batting and then we put the quilt top down. Then I told him we were going to start pinning the three layers together and to make sure he got the pin through all of the layers so it stays tight when I quilt it. I could tell by his face that he was worried. He spent like a full minute working on the first pin. He kept saying I don't know if it went through. He kept talking about how it was tricky. Then I mentioned that my aunt has all of her safety pins bent so they go in and come up easier. He quickly told me he would be willing to bend them all for me and i could pin the quilt alone. And I could tell by his face that he was trying to get out of pinning the quilt. But I told him that's OK. SO he stuck it out and pinned with me. ISN'T THAT SO NICE OF HIM???? He took a little longer than I did but I know he was just trying to make sure he did everyone right. He was really eager to pull up the tape and look at the back to see if he went all the way through on all of them, and he did!
I just think it is really great to have a husband that helps me out like that. I am so glad that we get along and aren't out boozing every weekend like most people on this base. In fact we never go boozing. I think it is just asking for trouble. I can't understand how these couples can go out all the time like they do. For one its expensive. We have some friends that are always fighting about money but they go out to the bars every weekend!! And they act like they don't get to spend enough time with each other but they booze it up Fri and Sat and then spend the day time recovering from the heavy drinking. They don't trust each other, can't share money.... I just don't understand how they don't get it! That maybe instead of partying all the time they should have some one on one time sober, getting to know each other, and figuring out ways to spend time together in more constructive ways.
I am actually grateful that Dave and I were too young to drink when we were married. We spent the first three years of our marriage not drinking. Plus we were poor... trying to buy stuff for our house and scraping by on a IGA cashier and A1C 's income. On the weekends we hung out with our friends at our house, playing games or watching movies. And when they were busy we would stay home and play games and watch movies alone. Boy, I must say that I think Yahtzee is one of the best things to build a strong friendship. If you can stay home on the weekend and play games and be happy and entertained than you know you are in good shape. But the point is, that drinking wasn't part of our idea of fun for so long that once we could drink, we hardly ever did, or currently do. WE occasionally have a six pack in the fridge and like in Tokyo we had drinks with dinner, but it isn't the only way we have fun, and we don't over do it.
Well, I don't know exactly how stretching the quilt led me to that rant... But I better go get working on that quilt! Have a great day and a wonderful holiday weekend!!
No comments:
Post a Comment