Moment of the Week

Sunday, October 27, 2013

After School

 One of the greatest parts of home schooling is the time we have 'after school'.  Our book work doesn't take very long, we are done by lunch.  In the afternoon Nate gets playtime.  There are lots of people coming out and saying that kids are pushed too hard too early. Here is a little reading for you.  So after lunch Nate plays. He plays alone until the neighborhood boys get home from school, then they play together until dinnertime.  I'm so glad that he has the opportunity to be a kid having fun for more of the day than a student drudging through copy work.

  But sometimes learning happens when we aren't 'in school' too.  Like when Nate went outside and found a ladybug on the porch.  We quickly got out our magnifying glass to observe the beetle.   

Actually I was pretty surprised to see a red ladybug.  I have only seen the orange variety  in so many years it's startling.  

After we studied her and read our book on ladybugs we let her go.  
I just love when learning happens on its own. 

1 comment:

  1. Its great that you took the time to turn it into a learning experience! Some parents would just say great and ignore the kid.

    ReplyDelete