Moment of the Week

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Overactive Amygdala

I have one.
Seriously.
When we were in Yellowstone I would fall fast asleep from exhaustion then wake up two hours later in a huge panic attack and stay awake all night listening for things that might kill me.... I mean us.  Actually my amygdala is pretty much just focused on me... and the saber-tooth tiger that it fears might be at Walmart, waiting to kill me.  My brain knows it's just the dirty bathrooms that I get nervous about, but my amygdala goes on reacting like it's a prehistoric threat.  



Why I thought I should go to a drive through wildlife park?  I can't remember.  Maybe it was the great price the homeschooling group got.  I will not drive through a wild animal park ever again.  I might ride in the car if my caveman Dave is driving.  But I was stressed.

First we saw nice wild animals.  
Elk, reindeer, wolves, mule deer.  
Then we entered the bears area.
There were a lot of bears.  
Most were napping.
 This one was not.


And a woman in that impala had her window down and she had her arms out taking photos.

 Between this photo...

 ...and this photo I did not breath.
Between flight or flight, I was 1000% ready to flight out of there.  

Then I made myself enjoy the rest of the drive and the many many more bears.  
But when we got to the exit of the bear area there was a problem.


The two brown bears were not the main issue.  
The black bear was pacing





I waited and waited.  After several minutes I took a video.



After a long time I finally did squeeze through while the bear was on the far end.  
I was scared and she came really close to my car.  


After a while my BP came back down and I saw a prong horn.  
I have never been so happy to see a deer!


Nate had a great time.


We walked around the enclosures and had lunch.


It was a fun morning, but I'm sure I will pass on that experience for awhile.  
For two dollars it was totally worth it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment