Moment of the Week

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Better

 Things in our yard are really looking up.... then again there is a chance of hail almost all week.  So I'll share before that happens.
 My front bed is doing really well.  I have little 'amigo mix' cocks combs in the front and come pretty red and pink Coleus behind our dwarfs.  I'm really happy with this.  The moon flower is just poking up.  It may-not be doing well, but I've never grown one so I don't have anything to compare it with.  

The hanging baskets in the front yard are doing well.  Although I may let one die since a bird has laid eggs in there and I'm afraid to flood the little nest set in the dirt with the two little eggs.

 I bought a couple of Roma plants thinking I would need to replace a couple in the garden, but our tomatoes are bouncing back so I've planted the Roma in the front yard.  They have a little tiny tomato already.  I need to put some bird netting over them asap.  

In the backyard....
 My cosmos are going kinda slow.
 The zucchini are doing well.  Considering it took three weeks for the sprouts to finally appear they are going quickly now.  I'll get the hang of this.
 The raised bed is doing very well.  
 The tomatoes are well
 I am very surprised and pleased.  
 The peas make me happy.
 The lettuce is looking good!  I don't think anyone is snacking on it.
 The spinach is well also.... although something really enjoys chomping on the spinach leaves. 
 My basil which I thought was DEAD after those days of wind and rain has obviously bounced back!  Amazing! 
 Love the bleeding heart.  I thought it would be larger by now, but maybe after it blooms? 
 The hanging baskets in the back are doing great.  There are dozens of mantis in the four baskets in the backyard.  I know it will take awhile but I get nervous about spotting a dozen big green mantis on my back porch one day...
 The grass blanket has worked amazingly well!  The grass is tall enough to mow. Once the blanket and grid are totally gone we will fill in any holes with the patch stuff that we like.  Our grass woes have disappeared.  It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't too much work and it didn't take as long as I thought it would.  We are really happy.    We still pull dandelions daily.... and have a patch of sad grass near one of the gates, but our mud pit is gone.  PTL
 Our raspberry bush appears healthy.  We bought two, but Bonnie stomped on one.  
 Our neighbors have raspberries and we have a free bush growing... so we have two again!
 Our blueberry bushes are happy!  Growing well.  This makes me so geeked!
While I was snapping pics of the raspberries and blueberries the stomp-er passed by... this reminded me of a big foot sighting photo ;) 

Last Saturday our neighborhood had its annual rummage sale.  We had stuff to sell and made a healthy few hundred bucks!  We also cruised the neighborhood for some great stuff too....Nathan scored a Zurg!  
Anyhow,  while at a sale down the street a few blocks Dave got to talking with the owner who asked where we lived.  She commented that is was great to see all of the work we have been doing. It kinda made our week.  

1 comment: