Moment of the Week

Monday, June 10, 2013

License to Cuss

 Last week Rapid City Public Library had its Summer Reading Program kickoff party.  There was a band singing You Are My Sunshine, pudding cups, a rock education station, a raccoon craft, and a woman helping kids make 'Living Necklaces'.  We made our bean in a baggie tied around your neck... and I noted that her name-tag said she was a 'Master Gardener'  Since checking on parts of my garden makes me nearly start crying I jokingly said "Nate she is a master gardener we need her to come over"  Which struck up a conversation about my gardening woes.  She asked if it was the hail, I told her it was the wind.  She said did you swear? I said no I almost cried.  She said I should definitely just cuss because it won't lead to a headache and a stuffy nose.  She told me I doing well for my first South Dakota attempt, and advised I do exactly what my mother told me to do..... when I didn't listen.  So now I'm following her swearing advice, and I'll be saving large cans for next year to avoid this headache.   

My tomatoes aren't dead.  But they aren't looking that hot.  They are alive, but I'm not sure what their fate will be.  Their stems are strong now, we continue to have high winds on occasion, but they aren't as delicate.... they just don't look too good.   The master said that's okay.... 

Otherwise, we've replaced the green peppers that the wind snapped.... my spinach is growing large, but someone is snacking on it.... my peas are doing well, the carrots are growing, the beans and cucumbers continue to grow..... 
 The zucchini plants finally came up!  I was beginning to wonder.

 My Cosmos are coming up.... Mom do I need to thin these?
 The grass in our large bald spot is coming up through the blanket thing.  Its really miraculous.... the dogs still spend a ton of time romping and laying and probably peeing on it, but a majority of the grass is doing very well!  Praise the Lord!
My bleeding heart is blooming!

Occasionally I say nice things in the garden... but I am totally allowed to cuss from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment