Moment of the Week

Thursday, April 18, 2013

How I clean my Dyson

I have a Dyson.  I love my Dyson with all of the house cleaning part of my heart.  

 When I first got my Dyson Ball I would start humming that line "There's something in the way she moooves" while I was pushing her around furniture and toys.  So I like to keep her clean. This is how I clean my vacuum canister and the cones.  Because the cones get a build up of gunk in there.  Its like an ultra fine powdery dust.... and its icky.  
 First I do the basic filter A cleaning.  
 Sick
 Rinse.  Then set it to dry just like the illustrations show.  NEXT is the part I have made up.  As far as I know Dyson does not have ANY instructions.  This process hasn't harmed my vacuum in anyway.  But try it at your own risk.  There are lots of You-tube videos on the topic..(and I think those people do a crappy job)  
 Separate the cones from the canister.
 Rinse the canister clean.... I use my mrs meyers dish soap for this part.
 Now the cones are tricky... and you can see the dirt in there!
 You will have to remove your 5 screws.  My simple 'woman' tool kit has a screwdriver thinger thing that fits this weird type of screw.( ask your hubby he probably has one)
 Now take this black foamy thing off carefully.  Gently rinse it. set it aside to dry.  
 Now I rinse this top part.
I use a soft rag to clean in those holes.

 Then its time for the cones... there is some serious junk in there
 And in the other end too.  

 Just start rinsing warm water through.  Gently shake while you rinse and you will see big clumps of dirt come out. 
 This is the trickier part to rinse.  I think it takes a good five minutes of rinsing and shaking to get all the dirt out...
 really shake!
 The biggest struggle is rinsing behind the plastic part that doesn't have holes.
 See in the cone the darker shading???  That's more dirt.  KEEP rinsing.
 Finally CLEAN
 CLEAN
 Wipe the silky dust off the screws with a dry towel!  I think that is the riskiest part of this process.  You would never want the screws to get wet and start rusting!  So watch out for that! K? Great!

 Now let everything dry.  I actually dry as much as I can with a clean towel... then let it air dry for a while also. 
 AND DON'T LOOSE THIS PART- You'd be up poo creek!
 To reassemble.... Get your canister.
 Set that foam disk thing back on there.
 Set the cones on there.
 The you have to get that little red part back in there before you screw it together.
 Put your screws back in.  tighten
 Now you are ready to put the cones back on the canister.
 Line up the red thingers.
DONE! 

I have done this four or five times in the two years I've owned my Dyson and I've never had a problem.  Try it at your own risk ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment