Moment of the Week

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Out Back

 After a long day of painting yesterday we decided today was meant to rest up and relax and the forecast agrees.  So this morning with no real hurry we walked around the house taking in our progress... running through our mental to do lists.  Then we came to the garden.  Since we have a timer set soaker hose out there now I don't have to go out every morning.   But this morning I could take my time.

This first real try garden has surpassed our expectations on a mega scale.  To see just how much  4 x 8 foot garden can produce just blows my mind!  And we have literally made huge mistakes that have limited the success.   Still. Look at this bursting garden!  And remember I have 14 cups of tomato sauce and 13 cups of salsa in the freezer!  I have shredded zucchinis frozen also.... and I have six jars of refrigerator pickles in the fridge.  Dave's sinuses have never been so clear.  Our jalapeno plants are a grand success and Dave has taken it upon himself to be sure no pepper goes to waste.  
 On this first day of fall we still have new things happening.  New cucumber blossoms....
 Some new lettuce...
And the tomato plants are still getting new flowers!
 My huge tomato plants.... the plants I started from seed in my kitchen window late March.  The plants I cried over because of the strong wind storms the week after I had planted them in the garden.  Here they are thriving still!
 Between the new blossoms and the many many green tomatoes still on the vines I believe I will get lots more.  Hopefully the weather holds out. 
Today I picked another colander of tomatoes, and harvested my basil.  I have chopped up the basil and frozen them in Tbls with olive oil or chicken broth in an ice cube tray.  This organic basil will season our soups and sauces all winter long! 

 The strawberry plants have obviously been happy. I cannot wait until next year to get some strawberries right in my own back yard!

Today we decided to pick our carrots.  We wanted to plant a crop of fall peas.... and I wanted to make some carrot soup and freeze it.  

 Bonnie likes hanging around with us when we are in the garden, but for the first time she was REALLY interested.  Once we pulled the carrots out she kept sticking her nose IN the holes left by the carrots.  She is a big fan of carrots, but I wasn't sure what she was sniffing for.  
 Gardening has really been a fun experience for our entire family!  And it isn't over!  We have put in some more lettuce and spinach hoping to have another month or so of fresh produce from out back.  Last year our neighbor was still getting spinach in December.  We will see!
For the rest of the day I'll be working on that soup..... Maybe making some more tomato sauce.  Watching football.  Enjoying these simple things for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment