Moment of the Week

Sunday, February 10, 2008

UPDATE

We are home, Dave is rocking the baby so I have a minute to update!!  Thanks to everyone for the comments.  

So on Thursday, like I blogged before, I went to my weekly OB appointment.  Thank goodness I had Dave with me.  The Doctor checked my cervix and saw that I was dilated to 4cm.  I told her she could strip my membranes, and she did but couldn't reach all of it because baby was still pretty high.  After that fun part was over I mentioned that the baby hadn't been real active the past couple days.   Actually I was really terrified on  Wednesday because I went almost all  day without any squirming or kicking, but right when I was ready to call Dave and tell him I wanted to go get checked  of course the little guy started acting up so I decided to just bring it up at my appointment the next day.  Well, the doctor wasn't very happy with me.  after a lecture she sent me right down to Labor and Delivery to be put on a monitor to make sure the baby was okay.  They had me hooked up for an hour and he was fine, but she decided to do an ultrasound to check fluid levels.  When she did she didn't find the fluid levels high enough for her to feel okay with me continuing, so she told me I was having  my baby.  We begged to be able to run home and get my stuff and get things straight, finally she told us okay, but we had to return to L & D before 7 pm or she was going to come after us.  She actually asked Dave where we lived on base  and which street and our house number.  Haha.  SO with our 3 hours we ran to the grocery store to get some basics, then ate dinner, and picked up the  house a bit. 

We made it back to L & D before our 7 o'clock curfew and they took me back to the delivery room.  They didn't end up getting the pitocin started until 9:20 because they were medivacing someone out and everyone was busy with that.  Almost right away I started feeling crampy  and as they increased the dose they got stronger.  At midnight they were only as bad as my worst period cramps so I was really worried I would be in labor forever.  Anyhow, at midnight my doctor came in and checked me and I was almost 6 cm dilated.  She broke my water and the instant she did I thought I was going to die.  The contractions got SO intense I was really unable to get through them without groaning and grunting like some animal you see on discovery channel.  After about 15 minutes of these insane contractions I asked for an epidural.  They were sending for the guy ( he was home sleeping peacefully) but I couldn't keep control of myself during the contractions, I was really miserable.  The nurse was listening to my groans and grunts and when they went a few octaves lower she decided to check me.  I was at 9 and was pushing during the contractions, I didn't know I was pushing.   It had only been 30 minutes since they broke my water!  Well, she yelled down the hallway and about 10 people were there right away, breaking down the bed, getting the baby warmer started up getting tools and stuff ready and the doctor rushed in and was giving me instructions about how I needed to push when she said.  Dave and I were both still there saying 'Wait, what is happening'.  I pushed for 6 or 7 contractions and he popped out!  The moment he came out I couldn't believe it was over!  Just like that!  At 1:05am on Friday the 8th he was born.  Hey 3  hours and 45 minutes of labor is a piece of cake!  I can do anything for 4 hours of my life.   They took him over to the warmer and I was left laying there asking, "Was that it?"  So, I had my baby naturally just like I had hoped. 

He is healthy and happy and a really good pooper.  He looks just like his daddy, and it is so amazing to watch his expressions change and see Dave in all of them! We love him so much.  We are still trying to figure out the breastfeeding thing, hopefully we can get it together this week.  I feel amazingly awesome considering I just had a baby.  We are a happy bunch!  

 

Nathan Victor McMath   

Born February 8th 2008 at 1:05am

6 lbs 8 oz

19 3/4 inches

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you all are home and doing well! Nathan sure is a nice looking baby,and yes I think he looks alot like his daddy did when he was born!! He looks so pretty in blue!! You guys make nice babies!!! Give Nathan a kiss from his Grammie for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet baby boy. Your labor sounds pretty much like both of my babies--although I got an epidural with Taylor's hallelujah! Congrats--I cannot wait til the girls can meet their new cousin!

    ReplyDelete