Moment of the Week

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Celtic Warrior Reenactment



I beyond love our history curriculum this year! 
The small book is what I read to Nate.
The big book is FULL of ideas and activities. 

 Inside, each chapter has review questions, additional reading lists, crafts, map work, cooking activities, and coloring pages.


This week we learned about the Celts after the fall of Rome.  How one of the Celtic kings, Vortigern,  invited two barbarian tribes the Angles and Saxons to come to Britain to help him fight to keep his kingdom safe.  These barbarians liked it there and decided to settle.  Some Celts, didn't want to live with these barbarians, so they moved on up to what is Scotland and Ireland.  The Celts that stayed intermingled with barbarians and became..... Anglo-Saxons.  
Seriously.  
I learned so much this week.  
Did you already know all that? 
I had never in my life heard anything about this and I found this very interesting since so many of  my ancestors come from these areas!   

Anyhow, back to what I was talking about-  The activities are really fun.  


We read the story of Beowulf, did our map work, Nate colored a coloring sheet.



We made a Celtic double-headed war axe.


Then we did the Celtic warrior reenactment. 
Painting terrifying blue swirls and marks all over his chest and face.



Isn't he the cutest scary warrior you've ever seen? 
I will print some of the photos from this activity so we can add them to our history notebook. 


After all of this we topped off our week by watching Brave.

Next week we will learn about Augustine coming to England and the Medieval Monasteries.  
I know nothing of these things.  
Do you? 

I do know we are going to make a monk's supper of lentil soup, and a monk's cross with air dry clay.
By the time we finish second grade history I think I will kick ass at Jeopardy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment