Our science curriculum started off the year with a project to build a light box. I was really wishing it happened later in the year, so Dave could be here to make it. The directions were to use a box lined with tin foil with a light socket inserted in the top. I was already imagining my paranoia over the fire hazard. I also kept thinking back to the growing racks we had in Mrs. Brown's fourth grade classroom, and I wanted to do something more like those.
So last weekend we ran around town collecting what I needed for the thing in my head.
There was a point when I realized I would need quite a few tools, that I thought about how easy the cardboard box would have been.
But it turned out. The small shelves were 13 bucks at Lowe's, the light was 10 bucks at Walmart. I bought a couple bucks worth of chain and it was a success.
Lining it with foil was a pain in the arse. I recently bought silver metallic poster board for a history project and I wonder if that would be better. I'll wait until the foil gets ripped and really messed up before I upgrade it. I also thought maybe I could take duck material, serge the edges and then stitch tin foil down on one side so it would drape better and be reinforced.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Our book had directions to making a good potting mix, but I bought the stuff I have great success with every spring.
We planted some seeds on Friday. Herbs mostly. I haven't found anyplace that still has seeds. I wanted to get mint and rosemary and try some other herbs, maybe I can find them online. We planted lavender, parsley and basil. We also planted cosmos. I am hoping I can get them to grow indoors so if we have an early snow we will have flowers inside to study.
Nate is pretty excited about having to water and take care of them.
I'll be sure to keep you updated on our success, or lack there of, with this light box project.







No comments:
Post a Comment